Monday, September 15, 2008

Pardon moi, speaky-vous le English?

Special K came down to my office last Friday, walking with that brisk pace that suggests someone is chasing her. With her usual "I'm so sorry to bother you..." she launched into explaining to me that a foreign contact of ours has recently departed his position, and our Director wanted to know his replacement. Since I am the one here who can "speak French," she asked if I could make a call this morning to try to ascertain the name of the replacement.

However, in Special K speech, this went a little more like "Well, I tried calling this number, but it was wrong. And I called this one. It was wrong, too, and they told me I should call this one. But she didn't speak English very well, and it was hard to understand. And I wrote down this number. But don't call that one, or that one. Call that one. The one I drew an arrow to. Not the one that is crossed out. Oh, and that's France, that's why I asked if you could speak French. So that's a country code. Don't ask me! I don't ask any questions. But if you could call, that would be wonderful. And this is what you should ask. But call with this number. Not this one. Thanks. Sorry to bother you. Sorry. Sorry. Thanks."

I called the number this morning, and I attempted to see if I could get the receptionist to speak English, but ended up having to use my rusty French to carry out the conversation. I can't stop laughing thinking about Special K trying to have the same conversation outlined above with someone who doesn't even speak English. And people wonder why Americans have the reputations they do...

2 comments:

Hubert de Pinot-Chambrun said...

Mais c’est moi que votre “K spéciale” a failli téléphoner ce matin!

Hubert de Pinot-Chambrun said...

Hey, why did you change the title of this entry from " . . . speaky-vous le English" to " . . . speaky-vous la Americana"? Both titles are hopelessly incorrect and correspond to no known human language in a way that makes me think the author is charmingly self-deprecating, witty, and wicked. But since both achieve this end equally well, I'm wondering why you switched it. Intellectual property issues?