Thursday, September 18, 2008

K Teaches Me a Thing or Three

The following email graced our inboxes this past Monday morning:

To all Staff:

This is a reminder that the building alarm (the alarm that is located at the back door) must be turned on by the last individual leaving the building. Please let me know if you need instructions on how to set the alarm or need the code so that the alarm is in an “on” position while all employees are away from the building. I will be happy to help you.

Sincerely,
Special K

With a case of the Monday blues, I lingered in M's office--a respite from the upstairs crazy sometimes--and inquired how to use the alarm. Like most alarms, you enter the code, press another button, and, Bob's-your-uncle--it's set! I then realized I would missing out on a great opportunity if I didn't ask K to give me a lesson, as she claimed she would be happy to do! Also, M and S dared me to, so I had to.

K showed me where the alarm was, and even pretended to press the buttons as she told me the code--how sweet! She also informed me that if I were to enter and forget to turn the alarm off, the building would be very quickly surrounded by firemen, the police and ambulances, and that I would be "very uncomfortable." Uncomfortable like cramps? She further explained that the alarm is absolutely necessary "because of what we do here" (does that mean she actually knows!!??) and, to that end, each and every day she locks the front door. She even took me over to the front door and showed me that it was locked, and demonstrated how it locks AND unlocks!

The building is secure! I can't wait for another lesson.

No comments: