Thursday, December 11, 2008

Who's The New Guy? None of Your Beeswax!

Tomorrow marks a momentous occasion: our new accountant starts. I have yet to embrace this, even conceptually, because I adore our current one. And though she is retiring and will be enjoying her life, I find her sass an integral part to keeping my sanity around here. The way she says the word "bitch" is down right inspiring -- a little southern twang, a little grand dame. She is, in essence, a beacon of logic is this tempest of absurdity.

I also have not jumped on the new accountant bandwagon because I'm having to share an office with him or her. Yes, that's right, I have no idea who this person is! Now, I won't make assumptions about how your company operates, but at my old place of employment an email was sent to the entire office when a new person started. A brief bio was included (along with name, duh!) so that on your first day you couldn't help but be bombarded with questions about your hometown, your Alma mater or those nerdy activities you listed as "hobbies" on your resume. You were a minor celebrity for a day, or until you figured out which people you ultimately didn't ever want to talk to. As it should be.

Around here you get nothing. The Long-haired-one did clobber into my office on Monday to tell me that "the new person" would be sharing my office for a month and half, but gave no mention as to whom, nor even indicated what sex this person is. When I asked who the "new person" was, she said, "oh, it will be the new accountant." Is it that she hasn't decided yet, and will wake up tomorrow and deem this person employed? Perhaps it is someone famous so she doesn't want me to tip off the paparazzi? I just don't know.

And further, it was like this when our most recent employee (who has yet to contribute to the blog) started. One day you show up and there is someone new, and you don't know if it's someone you should just ignore (*MACK, I mean you) or someone you should take the time to introduce yourself to.

I guess I, and everyone else, will know tomorrow.

*See previous post regarding MACK and his weirdness.

1 comment:

S said...

It's even more fun to not only be surprised by a brand new person, but to also find the new person at your desk. And it is their desk now. Did no one mention you've been moved?