Friday, August 29, 2008

hidden in plain view

it's getting late on labor day weekend's eve, and i'm starting to think we won't be let go early. too bad? yes. but it gives me a chance to share yet another story that will enlighten others (and my coworkers) to the predictably bizarre environment in which we spend our days.

this starts like many other encounters with k. i'm sitting at my desk, "looking busy," as i do, when k walks in to my office all atwitter with a question, her eyes darting from my computer screen, lest she catch me looking at something offensive or even innocuous. she presents me with a document (that i was copied on and delightfully received in both electronic and hard copy forms!!) that asks whether k should make file folders for my department. my boss, quick to be both efficient and precise, has answered said question on the very document she is handing to me stating that my department would make our own files. for obvious reasons. this makes her current query, restating the original question regarding the file folders, puzzling to say the least.

if only it stopped there!

k shows me where my boss has indicated that we will take care of our own files (all 3 of them) and that we only need the official name of the client, once it has been made available. that's all! and it says on the document that i have been alerted to this, do not forget that! when k gets the client name, she tells me, i make up the files pertinent to our department--magic! but not so simple to k....

she proceeds to restate the original file query, bringing additional documentation that includes the lists of files other departments need (m, s, i saw yours) and asks me whether i knew the other departments needed these folders. i nod. (always nod with k, always nod) she then goes on to say that she knew that my department uses blue folders, looks over to the lovely blue folders, stacked like little soldiers in my office, and then tells me she just wants to check to see if that is still true.

apparently, yes, k. but i don't say that! i nod.

k then tells me that m is going to need quite a few folders, and that "supposably" an intern might be involved in that, but that she didn't know because it is "none of my business." i'm still shaking my head, at an ever increasing pace. even though i don't want to get back to work, i don't want to sit here in this nonsense world with k, nodding until my head pops off, agreeing to whatever she has to say. i eventually just turn back towards my computer, while k gathers her papers apologizing for taking up my time and mumbling to herself on her way out. she crossed something off her to do list, and if it was "confuse coworker" she certainly achieved that task.

i am still not sure what k was asking me, but whatever it was, i'm sure she has it covered. supposably.

No comments: