Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Alphabet Deemed Too Nebulous

My day to day work around here is pretty similar. In fact: I do the same damn thing every day. So whenever a new project comes around, I know the ins and outs of what my responsibilities will be. It's easy and mind-numbing, but whatever. I still get paid the same.

As I have mentioned before, documents I work on get passed around for edits, both in and out of our organization. This can be confusing, so I save the pertinent files, in their various forms, on our common drive. I never know when I'll be responsible for something that was deleted 17 edits ago, so this is smart!!

Usually, only I need my files, but on occasion the Long-Haired One will call upon me to produce some document, since printing is a skill that neither she, nor Special K seem to posses with much deftness. I have been asked to go into the Long-Haired One's office to simply open a file when she is inexplicably unable to do so, so this should come as no surprise.

Today, Special K needed to use my office while I was at lunch, presumably to get in on that fancy color printing I can do. I was simply thrilled that I had gotten out of this duty, and I skipped away to lunch. My joy would be short lived.

When I returned, I had a K-scrawled note on my chair (which was written on two 3 x 5 cards affixed with scotch tape) requesting I print several documents for the Long-Haired One "because she will be using this information." I had also been instructed to change the name of my files that contain the most current edit, lest one's basic reading skills fail in retrieving this information from the current document name. Annoying, but no biggie. I change the pertinent names to Current Project A, Current Project B, etc. What can I say, I'm creative!

Within minutes of hitting the send button on the email proclaiming this illustrious task complete, I get a phone call from the Long-Haired One. Apparently, K found it too confusing to look under "Current" for the necessary document, so I was to change the name, yet again, to make it easier. "I just don't think she is used to looking under 'C' in the files." Ok. So even if I tell her where the information is to be stored, and tell her the *NEW* standard for the file name, it's still too confusing to look under a different letter in the alphabet? Does anyone see a problem here?

Well, anyway, I'm sure you know I went and changed my files and they now say Project A Current, Project B Current, etc. I'm not the boss of me!

1 comment:

S said...

Yes, and the hardcopy of your email circulated with the PEN SCRAWL on it to indicate the CORRECT new naming of the files must have stung! Ouch!